Monday, January 26, 2009

The arrival of Jesus from the birth perspective.

I will first note than i am not a Biblical scholar so if I bungle up anything, please feel free to correct me although I'm not really getting into theology here.

When we talk about Christmas and the "Birth of our Savior" it rarely involves any actual talk about the birth, but to me it's a little sad when you think about it.

Mary was a young woman. If I had to guess I'd say abou 15-16 years old. She was living her life and found out that she was pregnant without having sex. Ok that right there is pretty amazing. Her fiance (understandably) almost leaves her which will leave her in shame but luckily gets the message and marries her. Ok, so she's young, married and pregnant not by her husband. Right.

Now, this young, married pregnant woman finds out that she must travel on a donkey with her new husband to be counted for a census. Can you imagine how unfun traveling pregnant on a donkey must have been? Oh and she's left her family and I'm almost certain she's never been away from her mother, siblings, friends, etc.

Mary and Joseph arrive in Bethlehem where Mary goes into labor... or perhaps she's been in labor while riding on the donkey... we don't know for sure. She delivers her baby with only her husband around. In Bible times women in labor would've been surrounded by midwifes and the important women in their life. They would've pampered, encouraged and supported her as well and been able to assist with any problems and gotten her started on breastfeeding. They would've celebrated with her.

Mary had none of this. She has Joseph and they were in a barn and the weather may or may not have been favorable. I seriously doubt she laid him in a manger like the popular song says. More likely she wrapped him up, they cut his cord somehow, and she put him to her breast (no GoodStart for the world's Savior).

I know it should be happy because after all she IS giving birth to our Savior, but I can't help feel a little sad that she had to do it without her 'women'.

By the by, if you haven't read "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant, I recommend it highly.

2 comments:

Guinea Pig said...

That was very thoughtful. Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

Have you seen The Nativity Story? It's a fantastic movie and I think it probably is pretty close to what would have happened.