Friday, October 31, 2008

She's autistic, not deaf!

So one of the Senior VPs has a daughter, Johanna, who is 23 and autistic. She comes in the office a few mornings a week to do filing, clean the kitchen and other small jobs. She reminds me of Chloe. I mean that not in a demeaning way, but she is sweet and inquisitive. She asks lots of questions and doesn't have that adult filter. Her mom has worked really hard to give her a normal and meaningful life. She works, lives out of her home (with assistance) and does things like take swimming classes.

Well, one of the admins upstairs is basically in charge of her and I wanted to punch in the face. Now I understand having to make things simple for her and give her lots of direction, but the tone was so demeaning and she talked loudly as though Johanna was deaf (like people do to foreigners) or maybe like a dog. Ugh...

Maybe it's because I have friends with autistic and special needs kids, but it really bothers me.

Rant over... Happy Halloween! I'm sure I'll have pictures and stories to share tomorrow.

No comments: